~

~

~

~

I HAVE MOVED! My main blog as of Sept of 2010 is TWO YEARS TO HAPPY WEIGHT AFTER. Visit me there. My post links in the updates below will link up to the new blog. THANKS for reading!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Pilates: 10, 20, 30....really?


When I signed up for Pilates at the Pilates Room, after my first session, I did some web-searching on "the man" himself, Joseph Pilates.

I came across this quote, which I sort of smirked at with an, "Oh, yeah, sure":

You will feel better in 10 sessions, look better in 20 sessions, and have a completely new body in 30 sessions.

I figured my body had been messed up since childhood by assorted diseases, too many steroids and Rx drugs, and a wacky immune system; and it had been misshapen for so long by excess adipose that, for me, it might be more appropriate to rack up the milestone numbers this way: 100, 200, 300 sessions.

Well, I've only had 6 sessions and I feel better.

Color me a bright shocked fuchsia.

I feel my body. I feel it. I'm aware of it.

I notice how I'm sitting and change posture. I notice what my tummy is doing when I wash dishes. I find myself body conscious. Not self-conscious (that's the lot of most of us big gals, our constant companion in public), but body conscious. What is my body doing, how is it aligned, am I balanced, what's my pelvis doing down there in relation to my hip bones.

Kinda cool.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how I feel and look after the 20 and 30 session benchmarks. I still suspect that for a "new body", 30 is just not gonna cut it. I'll need to see it to believe it. I doubt Joseph P. had a morbidly obese, middle-aged woman in mind when he chose that two-digit numeral. But if I can have a whole new body in 300 sessions, then I've got 294 to go.

It's an adventure now!

5 comments:

Kate said...

:) Keep us updated. There are so many programs out there, and pilates has been around for a while. That's gotta say something right there!

Heather said...

so true! I have heard that as well. I am on session #19 and definitely feel amazing. cant wait until I hit #30 and hopefully have a new body!

Lynda Lippin said...

I am following this with awe and appreciation for both you and for the work of Joseph Pilates. Even after 19 years of teaching and 21 years of doing Pilates I am still amazed and impressed by how well it works and I wish more people would try it.

Lynda
Pilates & Reiki In Paradise Blog

Anonymous said...

keep us posted!

do you use a pilates reformer or is equipmentless? those reformers scare me. seems like a lot of places i could get stuck in it or ways to hurt myself.

www.groundedfitness.com

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome. Not only are you seeing a physical change, but a mental one too! I think that might be the most important change. If we can change the way we think, our bodies will have no choice but to follow! =)