~

~

~

~

I HAVE MOVED! My main blog as of Sept of 2010 is TWO YEARS TO HAPPY WEIGHT AFTER. Visit me there. My post links in the updates below will link up to the new blog. THANKS for reading!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Monday, January 5, 2009

New Bariatric Device Undergoing Human Trial

The following snippet is from "New Bariatric Device Doesn't Require Surgery, Can Be Removed"
Dr. Randal Baker, a local bariatric surgeon, said he and his partners are negotiating with three well-known companies who are bidding to buy the rights to the device he invented, the patented Full Sense Bariatric Device.

The two-section implement, made of silicone and nitinol, sits at the end of the esophagus and just inside the stomach. It is inserted through the mouth by a flexible tube called an endoscope and kept in place by three sutures. Baker said the pressure of the lightweight device is enough to convince the brain that the stomach is full.

The device induced significant weight loss in animal trials in dogs, Baker said. Last month, he and two other doctors inserted the device into three people in Mexico. He said they reported losing 18 percent of excess body weight in less than three weeks, without overwhelming hunger.


Okay, just for perspective, that would be like me losing 22 pounds in 3 weeks, more than a pound a day. Yoiks! (And I calculated that only using my "excess body weight", not my total weight.)

I'm gonna keep an eye on this one. I'm curious to see how the trials end up in terms of results. I think a lot of folks who don't want to be cut into or cut up (intestinally) may see this as a viable alternative, especially if it has far, far fewer complications than bypass or gastric-banding.

~~

3 comments:

Linda - Operation Stick To It said...

wow that's a lot, fast! people will view it as their miracle device. but it's still not going to teach healthy eating and healty lifestyles needed to maintain.

Brightcetera said...

I agree with Linda. But it's a tempting alternative to regular bariatric surgery for sure.
Hey, I just saw your pic post!
Now I can match the name to a pretty face!
May I suggest that you put your followers list closer to the top of your sidebar? That way it will be more visible to people.

Anonymous said...

you know the thing which annoys me MOST about all the surgery/medical interventions is the assumption that overweight = overeating. I had a gastric stapling when I was 21, and wasnt able to eat more than 500 calories a day, while going to the gym 3 times a week. I STILL put on weight. It wasnt until I was 30 that I was finally diagnosed with PCOS and severe insulin resistance. The knowledge hasnt actually helped me lose weight, but at least if I had known when I was younger I would have had more self-esteem to fight it, and I wouldnt have a 40 cm scar vertically on my stomach.
Its so damn hard to try to get over the despair and complete lack of faith that ANYTHING is going to work. I loathe food.
You are awesome :)
Belle